Difference between European Blackjack and American Blackjack
Blackjack or 21, a favourite casino game is a worldwide hit. Both the real-world and online casino variants are equally popular. The online versions can be easily played on laptops, computers, and mobiles and have gained a vast fan-following over the years. While many variations of Blackjack are available, the two most common and widespread versions are American Blackjack and European Blackjack.
Online European Blackjack Terminology
The basic rules of the game in both online European Blackjack and American Blackjack remain the same. However, there are slight differences between the two, which the players must keep in mind. This understanding helps in choosing the right strategies when it comes to the game. Let’s talk about the differences now.
- Hole Card – Two cards are dealt by the dealer at a time in American Blackjack. One is face up and the second is face down. This second card is known as the “hole card”. In online European Blackjack, the dealer receives first card face up. The other card is not dealt until the player receives his hand. It creates a difference on how the cards are dealt in the two versions.
- The Dealer gets to see the card – In American Blackjack, the dealer gets to see the second card if the first face-up card is an ace. It lets him check for the possibility of Blackjack even before the player’s hand is complete. No such thing happens in European Blackjack. There is no dealing with the second card before the player’s hands are complete.
- Number of Decks – Online European Blackjack, uses two standard decks while American Blackjack uses 6 to 8 decks. This presence of more decks makes counting difficult.
Insurance Bet – In American Blackjack, players are given an opportunity to opt for Insurance bet if the face-up card is an Ace. The dealer then takes a look at his hole card. If he gets a Blackjack, the player loses the bet but wins the Insurance. A negative Blackjack lets you proceed with your hand. In European Blackjack, since there is no hole card, the player gets to complete his hand before the dealer may or may not get a Blackjack.
- Double Down – Players gets to Double Down in an Online Blackjack by doubling the initially placed bet if they think that their hand will win over the Dealers. While playing online European Blackjack, players are allowed to double down when their hand has a value between 9 to 11. American Blackjack allows players to double down at any value of hands.
- Split – A Blackjack Split lets the player divide the initial two cards into two separate bets, thus doubling the bet. Online European Blackjack has players splitting the cards only once and that too cards of the same value, i.e. 10s, Kings, Queens and Jacks. American version lets you split a hand up to three times and into any pair.
Late Surrender – This option lets players surrender and accept defeat after the first two cards are dealt. In American Blackjack, players are allowed to surrender any time. But one cannot surrender if playing European Blackjack. A player who surrenders loses 50% of his bet and not the whole initial wager.
American Blackjack with its rules and variations lets players play more aggressively. Playing online European Blackjack, however, one needs to adopt a conservative approach. This aggression gives American Blackjack a slight edge to offer better returns. Overall, Blackjack, whether European or American is sure to get you hooked and make you try all its variants.
You are here: Home Difference between European Blackjack and American Blackjack